Thursday, November 12, 2015

Guest designing for Virginia's View.






Hi Everyone!
 
It's a very excited Karin posting today because I was asked to guest design for one of my absolute favorite challenges;  Virginia's View - Yay - so fun - I LOVE Virginia's theme and inspiring posts and feel so honoured to be asked. If I look at the number of players she has month after month I guess it is a favorite challenge for many of you too!
This month it is all about texture:
 
http://virginiasviewchallenge.blogspot.com/2015/11/guest-designer-karin-akesdotter-part-1.html
 
 
 Here are some suggestions from Virginia's blog:  create cards with Gesso, acrylic paints, textured/embossing paste, sandpaper, dry embossing (use those old/new embossing folders!!), embossing powder, cork, burlap, fabric, canvas, felt, wood-grain, DIY textures (using Crimper or score board, embossing folders) OR simply use any textured paper....the sky is the limit!
 
 
  

Beacause of the season I decided to go with two different types of snow fall textures.  For my first card I started out by stamong the background - first once in a light grey tone - embarrsssing but it was actually created by inking my Dirty stamp with versamark and stamping it on grey cardstock - when I realized my mistake I thought it looked Beautiful and decided to ink a darker set of trees in front of the lighter ones to create distance in the scene.
I then used my stitched rectangle die as a viewfinder and diecut what I thought was the best composition of the trees.

 
When I had my tree bg ready and diecut I held my panel in Place with some washi ape and then placed my snowfall stencil on top where I wanted the snow to come. Before applying the embossing paste I covered some of the snowflakes on the stencil with washitape to avoid getting too many "half" ones along the edges of my panel. 
When my snowflakes had dried I matted the scene to a slightly larger piece of dark grey cardstock Before attaching it to my cardbase with foam adhesive.
The moose is stamped on watercolor paper and colored with derwents watercolor pencils. 





 
Supply list:
 
 
 
 
I wouldn't have said I use texture a lot on my cards but just for fun I went through my folder of cards made 2015 and found quite a few different uses of texture.  Hope they will inspire you to try some new texture on your cards and to play along with Virginia's fun challenge.



Please come back tomorrow when I'm sharing another card with a different kind of snowfall texture.

Have a great day, big hugs, Karin


I want to play too - so I'm entering my Christ-moose card for the Holiday Card challenge at Hero Arts


Holiday_1920

6 comments:

Dotty Jo said...

A fabulous card! Congrats on being in the spotlight. I also love Virginia's challenges but just can't find the time to join in and make more cards, Jo x

LauraJane:) said...

Super post Karin! The texture you add is most often soft and subtle. Very admirable:)

~amy~ said...

LOVE your style Karin! All of your cards are wonderful!

Miriam Prantner said...

That background is wonderful! I love the layered stamping and then the paste!

Lisa Elton said...

Congrats on guesting Karin!! Your card is so CUTE!! Love the trees and the snowfall ;)

Virginia L. said...

Love the moose and the snowflakes...just perfect in every way! Beautiful and inspiring work, Karin! Thank you for sharing your big talent with us!